Day 45 - Lockdown

Still going strong this side! Despite all panics re Christmas we had a much pared down version due to potential covid exposures on both sides of the family. My FIL drove in a car with someone who tested positive the next day (last Monday) so he had to self isolate and they were unable to come and stay with us and join us for Christmas. My poor girls were devastated. Thankfully he has now tested negative but I think everyone is too nervous to move anywhere with the virus running rampant at this stage - so not sure when we will next see them.

Despite this it was actually lovely just to have our little family on our own on Christmas morning. In the afternoon we went to my dad and step-mom's house for lunch. Had warned them that we would be wearing masks (had first hand reporting of how bad the hospitals and general state of play was from my lovely doctor friend so were being extra cautious) unfortunately forgot to warn my brother and wife. SIL arrived and wrapped my father in a bear hug and kissed him. Which, at any other point in time, would be lovely but not in the middle of a fricking pandemic - he is 74 years old so obviously at risk. Then reacted aggressively to the fact that we were wearing masks and stated furiously - "Well I CERTAINLY won't be wearing a mask". WTF? We had not even asked her to wear one. Eish, they have been in their remote holiday hideaway (although still seeing people....presumably mask-less) and had not even heard of the new variant of COVID. Sigh! 

That initial interaction just made me shrink into myself, hit overwhelm and want to go home. Made it through the lunch but felt so down - think my usual response would have been to leap into a VAT of wine as soon as I got home -  but I just knew that was not going to help long-term. Instead I went to bed early, woke up feeling good and went for a long swim early the next morning. Shew - made it through that one.

Our country just introduced new lockdown restrictions ast night - effective immediately. The one that has flung everyone into a panic is the ban on alcohol sales. I am mightily relieved that I feel completely unaffected by this - can just imagine the freak-out this would have caused in drinking me.

Beaches are closed, masks are mandatory everywhere (HA - take that SIL, very childish of me - I know!) and curfew is from 9pm to 6am. Considering I am normally in bed by 8:30 this does not have major implications. I am staying off social media as I know there will be lots of bitching and moaning about new restrictions - BUT, talk to any person on the front-line of this disease and they would say that all these measures are desperately warranted. These are the people we should be listening to - not that Facebook friend who regards themselves as an immunoligy expert because they have done their extensive research on google.

The next 2 to 3 weeks will be crucial so we are hunkering down at home - feeling very grateful that we can as I know many people who have to work and don't have this option. Hoping that things will improve soon for everyone. Stay safe and sober!

Xx



Comments

Popular Posts