Day 16 - animals & insomnia


                                                    My lap on an average evening.




 I have really been struggling with sleep deprivation for the last week or so. I seem to be incapable of falling asleep before 2am at the moment as my mind is a little hamster-wheel. I then feel beyond exhausted each morning -gah! This does not seem remotely fair as, by all reports, my sleep should be vastly improved at this point. Wish there was someone I could lodge a complaint with. Once I am asleep all is good.......except for animal shenanigans that seem to be kicking off around 5am every morning in our house. 

Our house is filled with animals which ordinarly (just not in the v.early hours of the morning) is something that makes me happy. We have 3 cats  - Fat Cat (as the name suggests), Boy (also) and Zuzu (the long-suffering lady who yearns back to the days when she was the one and only cat in the house). Also 2 dogs - a 'high energy' Jack Russell nicknamed Poops (one of the great loves of my life) and a gorgeous Labby-cross rescue who fills our house with fur, wants to eat other dogs but adores cats, Poops and people (most especially his Dad). 

The sun is rising at the (ass) crack of dawn at the moment. That is clearly the signal for Fattie and Boy to start stomping over my unconscious body in the bed - 'subtly' suggesting that it is breakfast time. Neither of them are like feathers. If that doesn't work, Fat Cat ups the ante and sticks her paw in my mouth. Poops starts growling at the sound of cats moving about and then leaps on the band wagon of demanding breakfast. She is a little glutton who will eat everything she can lay her furry mitts on and we struggle to keep her the right side of portly - so she is only allowed a tiny cup of food in the morning. But, my word it means the world to her! And she literally bounces out of bed and up and down until she gets it. So I basically sleep-walk out of bed, feed the 5 thousand and then collapse back into bed for a bit more broken sleep until alarms go off all over the house.

If I don't intercept husband in time then Poops gets a second breakfast at this stage as husband is merrily unaware of early morning activities and Poops is an excellent actress.

Nonetheless insomnia and pet tomfooleries are a walk in the park to deal with compared to the 4am horror hangover wake-ups! And even stumbling gliding around on no sleep I feel a million times better than 16 days ago.

Xx

Comments

Popular Posts