Day 24 - The hummingbird

 


Shew, the days are flying by as I try get my work wrapped up before kids break up from school and the holidaying masses descend on our small seaside town!

 A present (to me from me - yay!) was delivered  on Friday. I ordered it probably a week before I stopped drinking. Fortunately tipsy on-line shopping was not a normal habit of mine otherwise we may have been out on the street a while ago, but something about the design of this ring just spoke to me. So beautiful, simple and pure. And now I feel like it was a gift from drinking me to sober me - saying "Keep going girl!" Randomly (actually, probably not so randomly now that we know Mr Zuckerberg stalks our every on-line move) I saw a post on Instagram saying that Hummingbirds are a symbol of healing and happines. Love that and plan to wear this ring all the time to remind me of the most important step I am taking in that direction. 

Side note - the sticky-out wing while pretty has already hooked my daughter's hair and a rouge thread in a jersey. Going to have to figure out how to more carefully manage THAT. Fortunately no eyes have been stabbed yet.

I am feeling good generally but slightly nervous about the festive season ahead. Traditionally a heavy drinking time for the world and historically a wine-filled time for me. Holiday! Wine! Sundowners! Wine! Christmas! Wine! New Years! More wine! Going to be a big change. But I feel hopeful as well, looking forward to doing it all differently and keeping myself intact both mentally and physically. Two sentiments are really resonating with me at the moment (apologies, I have no idea where I got them from and they are most certainly not my original thoughts but they are now etched in my mind):

1) Drinking today is borrowing from tomorrow's happiness.

2) Nobody ever wakes up in the morning regretting not having had a drink the night before. 

No more borrowing happiness and no more regrets for me,

Xx

Comments

Popular Posts